Wednesday 22 August 2012

Sandpiper set

The flooded field on my local patch continues to turn up some nice birds - single Common and Green Sandpipers this morning on top of a Wood Sand earlier in this month. The Collins Guide puts all three on the same page along with one other species - Terek Sandpiper. I think I'd settle for that if it turned up to complete the set...

Common Sandpiper

Green Sandpiper
Among a small flock of Black-tailed Godwits was a colour-ringed bird which I first saw on 2nd August, and which appeared to be sporting an aerial, presumably attached to some kind of satellite tracking device. I've emailed the details off so news of its provenance is awaited. Earlier colour-ringed Blackwits from this site haven't come far though - Farlington in Hampshire was the origin of the last one I saw here.

Southern Hawker

Sedge Warbler
The warm morning also brought out some Odonata - I'm no expert but looking at the field guide I think this morning's dragons included Southern Hawker, an immature male Migrant Hawker and a male Common Darter.
Migrant Hawker

Common Darter

No comments:

Post a Comment