Monday 1 August 2011

A Crazy Hour on Cret de Chatillon

On a family holiday visiting non-birding friends I did not expect to have many opportunities to see good birds. Getting above the treeline to Cret de Chatillon in the French Alps offered some hope but, as coffee an ice cream were the main objectives of the rest of my party, not much. Or so I thought. Stepping out of the car I immediately heard an unfamiliar 'te-te-te' call as a small flock of Citril Finch flew over. They landed nearby so family and friends were abandoned in search of some photos - against the light unfortunately, but the first I have managed of this species. Rejoining the coffee drinkers I heard another unfamiliar call - somewhere between a Jay and a Nightjar - and saw the back end of a Nutcracker vanish into a conifer looming over the cafe. It exchanged calls with another further down the slope, and after some careful searching I could just about see it, partially obscured by branches. After this excitement, a short walk to the nearby summit brought us face to face with a small flock of Alpine Chough (see later post). The best hour's birding of the entire trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment