Saturday 15 May 2010

Short people got...

...no photos. Had to use all of my 6 feet in height peering over a bank to get this picture, as more vertically challenged birders cursed either side of me at the frustrating views. An uncharacteristically snap decision led me Frampton Marsh in Lincolnshire to see the Oriental Pratincole (top) present since last weekend - a new bird for Britain for me (412 BOU). Family duties kept me in Poole until 13:30, but with a good forecast and a settled bird it seemed worth setting off, and I arrived on site at 17:15. The bird had not been seen for half an hour but I managed to pick it up roosting on a spit distantly from the East Hide. It sat there for over an hour, looking settled for the night, but just as I was setting up a complicated double-stacked teleconverter arrangement to get a record shot, it flew much closer - within 20 yards of the track to the hide. In this picture you can even see the rounder nostril which apparently is a feature to help separate Oriental from other pratincole species! An obliging Ruff (above) also photographed from the East Hide. Yellow Wagtail, Corn Bunting and Avocet everywhere on this excellent reserve.